Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It's recipe time!

This is one of my South Beach recipes. I made it and ate it the past couple of days while I haven't been feeling well, but I think it will make a nice weekend lunch. It was good, and super easy to make!

Ingredients

  • 1 medium leek, light green and white parts only, outer layer removed
  • 4 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 6 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 8 ounces brussels sprouts, halved
  • salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions

  1. Trim leek, keeping root intact. Slice in half lengthwise, submerge in cold water, and rince thoroughly to remove any dirt. Slice into 1/4 inch pieces.

  2. Bring broth, water, and thyme to a low boil in a large saucepan. Add leek and mushrooms; reduce heat and simmer until leek is softened, about 5 minutes.

  3. Add chicken and brussels sprouts. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.

Nutritional info

Makes 4 servings (1 3/4 cups). 210 calories; 4g fat; 340mg cholesterol; 13g carbohydrates; 34g protein; 3g fiber.

My variations

I didn't bother with the leek, and I'm not brave enough to try brussels sprouts yet. So, I put in a whole 8 ounces of mushrooms, and probably a little extra chicken. I'm trying to think of some other veggie I could add... maybe celery.

3 comments:

TECH said...

This sounds delicious. And I happen to like brussel sprouts. Oh, don't be so shocked. There had to be people that do, otherwise farmers wouldn't grow them! :)

Michelle said...

This does sound good. I love leeks and I can do brussels in the right setting.

Um...

Well that got my mind wandering. It's Tech's poems fault.

AmberClear said...

Try onion instead of leeks. Leeks are milder but must be cooked. Celery is good with chicken. If you like cabbage it's almost the same as brussel sprouts.