Wednesday, January 11, 2006

It's recipe time!

This is one of my South Beach recipes. I made it and ate it the past couple of days while I haven't been feeling well, but I think it will make a nice weekend lunch. It was good, and super easy to make!

Ingredients

  • 1 medium leek, light green and white parts only, outer layer removed
  • 4 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 6 ounces white mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
  • 8 ounces brussels sprouts, halved
  • salt and freshly ground pepper

Directions

  1. Trim leek, keeping root intact. Slice in half lengthwise, submerge in cold water, and rince thoroughly to remove any dirt. Slice into 1/4 inch pieces.

  2. Bring broth, water, and thyme to a low boil in a large saucepan. Add leek and mushrooms; reduce heat and simmer until leek is softened, about 5 minutes.

  3. Add chicken and brussels sprouts. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve hot.

Nutritional info

Makes 4 servings (1 3/4 cups). 210 calories; 4g fat; 340mg cholesterol; 13g carbohydrates; 34g protein; 3g fiber.

My variations

I didn't bother with the leek, and I'm not brave enough to try brussels sprouts yet. So, I put in a whole 8 ounces of mushrooms, and probably a little extra chicken. I'm trying to think of some other veggie I could add... maybe celery.

2 comments:

SBB said...

This sounds delicious. And I happen to like brussel sprouts. Oh, don't be so shocked. There had to be people that do, otherwise farmers wouldn't grow them! :)

Michelle said...

This does sound good. I love leeks and I can do brussels in the right setting.

Um...

Well that got my mind wandering. It's Tech's poems fault.