Friday, June 23, 2006

Patience!

The Weight Loss Word of the Day is PATIENCE! Patience is hard for anyone. Particularly for dieters, I think. We want to be thin now! We're tired of being heavy. We're sick of it. But it takes time to lose weight.

It is easy to be become discouraged when you're only losing an ounce a week or even worse, you gain a pound. But as long as we stay the course, it's going to pay off. I have to continually remind myself of that. Here are a few things I do to keep myself focused on my goal.

1. I repeat my positive statements before each meal. My positive statements go something like this: "I am worthy because God made me. My body is a temple that my soul inhabits. My temple should be healthy and strong. Food does not control me. I control food. With God's help, I will be healthy."

2. I have a picture from when I was thin (all the way back in high school). I have it on my fridge and on my computer. It reminds me that I once was thin and can be again -- although I will probably never have that much hair again!

3. I keep my mental goals realistic. Even when I lose this weight, I'm not going to suddenly become Brad Pitt. I'm still going to be me. And that's okay. This one is hard because I struggle with self-image issues. I've always been my harshest critic. I remind myself that daily that God made me so He thought I was worthy. It really does help.

4. I remind myself that I'm losing this weight for me. I'm not doing it to please other people. It's for me. Perhaps that sounds selfish, but if you depend on other people to supply your goal, ultimately you will fail. You have to believe that you deserve to be healthy for yourself so that you can accomplish what you're supposed to during the time we have here.

5. Every step, however small, is another toward the goal. If we allow slow progress to discourage us and make us stop, we'll never arrive. And I want to arrive, I believe I will arrive, and I want all of you to arrive with me.

So don't get discouraged at small gains or small losses. We're getting there, and there really is joy in the journey. Come journey with me.

1 comment:

Steef said...

If you may be so kind I want to react on this site:

I´am from Holland I´am 6´6ft tall and weight about 73kg/160 lbs. I want to give people advice for losing weight because I see so many people around me who are not happy with themselves because they have an overweight.
I see you are very determind to lose weight that´s good but with just eating less is not enough. I will advice you to practice an sport like basketball, soccer, football, fitniss (an conditional sport). Then you also meet new people. And you feel al lot more happier afterwards.
I hope you´ll have a healty life.

Greetings Steef.