Thursday, June 01, 2006

Walk!

The weight loss word of the day is WALK! Walking may be the perfect exercise. It's easy on your joints, requires no special equipment besides supportive and comfortable shoes and a place to walk. Michelle has been walking in the morning and is finding it to be the perfect way to start her day.


Here are a few ways to incorporate walking into your day.

1. Use part of your lunch hour to walk around the block or even better a local park.
2. Park at the far end of the parking lot when you shop.
3. If the weather is bad, walk from one end of a mall to the other.
4. Use the stairs. My roomie works in a four-story hospital. He almost never takes the elevator, and he goes up those stairs like a gazelle -- if gazelles can climb stairs easily.
5. Get a pedometer and attempt to add 500 steps to your day.
6. Call a friend and set up a walking date.
7. Many schools have a walking track that is open for the public to use during the summer and evenings.
8. Many churches have family life centers with a walking track.

What walking tips do you have to share? Let’s walk our way to fitness and health.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Thanks Tech! I really do like these word of the day posts.

I prefer walking in the AM, just because it gets me going for the day and the cool air keeps me...cool. But it is all when the weather provides. Otherwise, I walk in the evening, with someone preferably but I can always get on my treadmill. Being outside seems to lend itself to more motivation to do it, however.

I have tried the tricks you listed too. Parking further away (Aha! Rachel says "That's why you have been parking further away!" >:| she is reading over my shoulder) And, walking the mall is never an issue when shopping could be involved. :)

SBB said...

You're welcome, Michelle! I'm glad you like them.

SBB said...

By the way, if you click on the little man in the photo, another browser window should open and he will walk!

Michelle said...

Ha! Very cool...