Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Accountability

One of the things that helped me lose weight before -- when I was doing what I should -- was accountability. I had Weight Watchers, this blog and concerned friends who would ask me almost daily how the diet was going. Yes, it was annoying at times, but it also kept me aware of my diet.

It was also a test of my honesty. Because sometimes they would ask and I hadn't been good about my diet -- unless you consider a dish of French vanilla ice cream with hot peach topping and a flourish of whipped cream on top to be diet food -- and I didn't want to answer.

"I don't want to talk about it," was my standard reply, which was the same as an admission that I had fallen off the beam. Not that they chastised me -- in fact, they were always supportive except for one person who died a horrible death involving fire ants, a '59 Chevy and a goat -- but having to admit that I had slipped only fueled my desire to do better.

So, for me, this blog will be part of my accountability. And if you ask me if I walked last night, my reply is, "I don't want to talk about it." But I will walk tonight.

How are you doing? Please share your tips and thoughts. We're in this together, and I want to hear what you have to say. And if you'd like to join us, just let me know, and I'll sign you up in our team.

5 comments:

SBB said...

As you can tell, I'm attempting to add more content to GSD. If you have a site that you'd like linked, let me know and I'll add it.

Anonymous said...

That dish of French vanilla ice cream with hot peach topping and a flourish of whipped cream on top IS diet food. It's just part of a diet that's not highly recommended. ;)

I don't want to talk about it either.

SBB said...

It's probably recommended for taste, but not recommended for weight loss.

So you don't want to talk about it, either? Man, what will we do with us?

Trixie said...

Let's all go for a walk together!

Jean said...

Peach topping? That's fruit. It's good for you. (I'm pretty good at rationalization.) There's milk in the ice cream, but these days, I mostly prefer fat free frozen yogurt. Thank God Ben & Jerry's stopped making Fat Free Frozen Yogurt in the Chocolate Cherry Garcia flavor!

I didn't walk last night either, but I did walk tonight. Hershey loves a walk, and that helps get me out there.

As for everything else? I don't want to talk about it. (grin) I did make a spaghetti sauce with mushrooms and squash to go with the tomato sauce tonight. I also use whole wheat spaghetti. I have five "to go" containers in the fridge for quick, easy re-heats. Go me.