Thursday, September 20, 2007

Rebirth

They say that the cells in our body renew themselves every 90 days. In other words, the old cells die and are replaced with new cells. These new cells model themselves after the old cells and even -- in our brains -- exchange information so that the new cells can carry on like the old cells. So every 90 days we are literally new.

This is, I think, a metaphor for how we can change. (Admittedly it's a sloppy metaphor because that's not exactly how cellular reproduction works, but close enough. Work with me.) We can shed what we were and embrace a new way of being. We can be reborn.

This metaphor can apply to anything in our lives, from spiritual and moral issues to weight loss. Of course, we can't lose all the weight we gained in 90 days -- look, I said it was a sloppy metaphor -- but we can make changes in how we live that will create the weight loss we need.

And we do need it. Being over-weight increases our chances for stroke, heart disease, diabetes, etc. And just as importantly, being over-weight steals our energy and strength. It dilutes our joy in living and being active.

So let us decide right now that we will embrace this rebirth. That we will be new people. That we are no longer victims of poor habits. That we are worthy of being healthy, strong and happy.

This is it.

We can do it.

Our time is now.

***

To do this, I am going to change a habit a week and start a new habit. Here's my first new habit.

1st Change: I will walk 15 minutes a day starting today.

Will you join me in doing this?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You make me feel guilty and go and pick a new habit for yourself right after my friend called me last night and wanted me to go for a walk with her. I didn't. I should have.

Do you know if there's a way for the new cells to not get the info from the old cells? Obviously, my old cells aren't doing such a good job, why would I want them to pass along their slack to the newbies?? ;)

Okay, I think I'll make my habit not eating after 8 p.m. That'll probably be a really hard one for me, but I'm going to try it anyway.

Trixie said...

Check. I've had my walk today -- enough to count for the 15 minutes. I'll have another very short walk this evening to and from the community choir that meets at the Episcopal church at the end of my street. That's probably a five-minute walk, and I may do even more between now and then.
I add my resolve to improve the choices I make at each meal. For lunch I had a generous salad.
I've got some serious work to do and this will help.

Seeker said...

I'm with FF. Why would I want my old cells to say anything to the new ones? Is there a way to shut up my old cells?

Okay, I need to do something though. I think I'll start with walking for 30 minutes, 5 days a week. My Mom has offerred to give me her treadmill so I just need to clear a space in the garage for it. That should burn up a lot of calories! Maybe I can get that done before the cold weather sets in.

Jean said...

I think the 90-day analogy is very important. It's very easy to get discouraged after a few days or a few weeks (hours, in some cases), so remembering it takes a single cell 90 days to complete a successful "shift change" might be helpful for our personal morale and sustainment.

Michelle said...

I'm with you. Actually, I made it my goal, last week, to walk 30 minutes every night. I've stuck to it this week. No excuses. And, I actually feel like I could go a bit longer already. (The fresh air at night is helping my sleeping as well.)

My new goal for next week, will be to blog at least every other day. I know that doesn't sound like a weight loss goal. But getting my thoughts out helps my mental health. I haven't been doing it. For me, mental clarity allows room for more positive thoughts. I need those to be successful in whatever I do...

Seeker said...

Wait...we're starting already??

Okay, I didn't walk Saturday or Sunday, but I did walk for about two hours at the state fair on Friday, and believe me it was a steady walk. My son doesn't like to slow down for hardly anything. We paused to watch the pig races, but that was about it. Oh, we did sit down towards the end of the two hours to watch a draft horse competition, but we got there at the end and only saw about 10 minutes of it.

And, I did better than usual about not pigging out at the fair. I did have a sno cone, a bottle of water, and a roasted ear of corn dipped in butter, but that was all. I wanted to try the fried garlic mashed potatoes on a stick, just because I wanted to see how they got it on a stick, but I resisted. I also resisted the pizza on a stick, the chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick, cheese on a stick, and corndogs. Yes, there were a lot of things on a stick. It seemed to be a theme at the fair.

I found out later on the way home as I was listening to the radio, they had wine slushies, but it's probably just as well I didn't try one of those and then drive.

Okay, so my resolution was to walk 30 minutes, 5 days a week. I'm starting Monday.

Linda said...

YAY to all of you for walking. I'm sidelined for a bit. I need new shoes. Mine are making my foot hurt. So, I'm not walking until I find a sale I can afford on New Balance shoes and get them ordered and here.

Congrats to you all for sticking with your walks.