Friday, August 08, 2008

Unsettling info

Sometime back we had a poll here that asked if the respondent had considered gastric bypass bariatric surgery to lose weight. About half of us said that we had. One thing they rarely mention about bariatric surgery is the side effects.

Today I discovered that one common side effect is Dumping Syndrome. To quote the article from American Medical Journal: Dumping Syndrome is: "a condition where the stomach passes food too quickly into the small intestine. Patients suffer abdominal pain, weakness, profuse sweating, nausea, and diarrhea." Apparently more than half of the people who have this surgery experience Dumping Syndrome at least once a week while the majority experience it two or more times. A small percentage of unlucky souls have it every time they eat. Dumping Syndrome can be controlled by rigid adherence to a restricted diet that has no fat and no sugar in it and by eating extremely small portions at each meal.

I think I'll stick with Weight Watchers for the time being.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

No doubt. Yick.

E.T. Collier said...

This is an indirect side note. I've had the opportunity at work to teach a 30-minute segment on exercise to the diabetic education classes. I use the American Diabetic Association's guide book and insert my own experience of exercise as a physical therapist. I feel a little self-conscious doing this since I'm a bit overweight myself and not exercising as consistently as I should. But this book is an excellent guide to getting starting on a more active lifestyle to help lower blood sugar and control weight. Our hospital gives them to each class member free. They are probably available from he ADA, as well. I would encourage anyone wanting to start exercising or increasing their activity level to get one and study it before starting out. Be sure to get approval from your doctor, too. Little changes gradually increased can make a big difference when consistently applied. And you feel better, too!

Jean said...

Gastric bypass surgery is a significant long-term commitment. Any reputable clinic offering it has a significant pre-surgical and post-surgical program, and the participants must make a commitment to a significant lifestyle change -- both before and after the surgery. If you're not willing to do that, gastric bypass is not for you. Both people I know who have taken this step have been successful as a result of it. But I imagine there are a significant number of people who "fall off the wagon" so to speak.

I still have hope from more conventional methods. I'm not quite in the range to be eligible for participation in a program, but I was getting very close to being there before I retired and began losing weight.

I had stabilized for a few weeks, but indications are that I may be ready to start losing again, so I'm still hopeful.