Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Trying to Think Outside Jack in the Box

I was so excited today--DH wasn't coming home until late tonight. Now, now, I love the guy, but it meant I didn't have to cook!

I've been waiting to try an experiment in replicating the Southwest Chicken Salad Dressing at Jack in the Box. I love that stuff, but just the packet of dressing is 8 points. I had read something somewhere in the last week that someone mixes plain non-fat yogurt with salsa for a Mexican flavor.

That didn't taste all that great, kinda' flat. So I got out the taco seasoning. I started by adding just 1/2 tsp. at a time, but finally ended up dumping the whole packet in. I used 1 cup plain non-fat yogurt, 3/4 cup salsa, and the one packet of taco seasoning. Let it sit for a bit so the dehydrated onions, etc. in the seasoning can soften up. Not exactly the taste I was going for, but it was close enough I all but licked the salad bowl clean. :)

Then, and only then, I remembered the creamy, definitely-not-diet, spicy ranch dressing I had at my sister-in-law's. It tasted just like Jack in the Box dressing!

Um, duh, I think I'll try taco seasoning in low-fat or fat-free ranch dressing. I'll let you know the outcome when I try it.

Sheesh, I hate it when my brain lags behind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, and the dressing made the way I made it is only 1 point for 1/4 cup. That's plenty of dressing for a big dinner salad. :)

Trixie said...

Wow! That's a great tip!

Michelle said...

Ooo that sounds yummy. I was going to have a salad for dinner, but then my folks invited me out to Applebee's. They have a weight Watchers menu there, and it was yummy! I even got to have dessert...

I think I will try the salad dressing tomorrow. Thanks Frenzied!