Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Mad Scientist at Work

I've been experimenting again. It's another recipe I got from my WW meeting. :)

FUNDELENTIL SOUP

Cook in large pot for 3-4 minutes:
1-1/2 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. chopped celery
1 tsp. olive oil

Add, bring to boil, lower heat and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes:
7 cups low-fat chicken broth
1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 10-3/4 oz. can tomato soup
2 c. dry lentils
2 c. chopped carrots
2 c. chopped yams
2 tsp. oregano
1-1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Stir in:
2 c. chopped fresh spinach

Bring back to low boil. Turn off heat. Enjoy!

My WW leader said she likes to put a dollop of plain yogurt and a little salsa on it. She put this in the online calculator on the WW site. She figures it serves 12 at 3 points per serving. Cal 199; Fib 12g; Fat 2g.

My observations:
It obviously depends on how big you make the pieces of veggie as to how long it will take to simmer. I made mine about 1/2" pieces.
Having learned how much work fresh spinach is, I bought a bag of ready-to-go baby spinach greens and chopped them up a bit.
Having never used fresh garlic before today, I liked it!
I LOVE cumin, so I'd add more next time.
I really liked it with the yogurt swirled in. I didn't try it with the salsa because I didn't want to cover the taste of the cumin.
The 2 cups of lentils was slightly less than the 1-lb. package of lentils I bought. Not worth saving what was left and I'd just dump the whole package in.

1 comment:

jeannie diane said...

Yummm, that sounds so good. I will
try it. I am having a terrible time
eating. I have consumed everything
I can get my hands on lately.
I just increased my Lexapro.
Which is an antidepressent, so is
that why I can not be satisfied?